Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Keep as much "stuff" as possible out of landfills- Reduce Reuse Recycle

For the past 6 years I have tried to keep as much "stuff" out of landfills as possible.
I'm one of those people who actually use reusable shopping bags for every grocery trip.
By recycling ALL of our paper, glass and plastic, our recycling bin is always chuck full.
We have a compost bin in our yard so all of our potato, banana peels etc end up there.
By cloth diapering the kids we keep diapers out of landfills, end result being minimal garbage in our bin each week.
Another major way of keeping other things out of landfills is by simply giving good "stuff" that is just sitting around your home that will eventually end up in the trash, to people who need it. It's about reusing perfectly good items.  Let me tell you about the Freecycle Network (freecycle.org). I have been a member of the Freecycle member for almost 3 years now and let me tell you, the concept really works!.
Here is an example of how it works:
Say I have a bunch of 12 mo old shirts that my daughter has outgrown. I simply put an Offer post in my local freecycle group, I then wait for people who can use them to email me and then we arrange a pickup day and time.
Say I need 18 mo shirts for my baby, I then post a Want post in the local group and wait to see if anyone has any 18 mo shirts laying around that they no longer need.
By the same token I scroll through the group post messages taking note of other people's Want posts, If i happen to have something laying around not being used that someone else needs then I contact the person who wrote the Want post.
It's simple and it works.
Check out the freecycle network by going to Freecycle.org to find out if there are local groups in your area.

Reduce REUSE and Recycle!
Happy crunchy green healthy day Y'all !  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment